The Cossack's farewell
Signed Evgueni Lanceray in Cyrillic on the terrace.
Bears the mark and stamp of the foundryman Felix Chopin.
H. 40 cm, terrace W. 34 x D. 14 cm
BIBLIOGRAPHIE : Geoffrey Walden Sudbury, Evgueni Alexandrovitch Lanceray (1848-1886), Paris, Fauve, 2006, model reproduced pp. 59, 115-116.
This model was cast in bronze in two dimensions (H. 42 x W. 38 x D. 20 cm or H. 26 x W. 21 x D. 10 cm) by the Chopin foundry, which obtained the right of reproduction from the Academy of Arts on June 10, 1878.
Eugène Lanceray is the grandson of an officer in Napoleon's army who remained in Russia and became a naturalized citizen at the beginning of the 19th century. Passionate about horses, he turned to animal sculpture at a young age and quickly became one of the figures of the artistic life of Saint Petersburg. We owe him nearly four hundred sculptures, mainly equestrian and ethnographic. He travelled in Europe, exhibited at the Salon of 1876 and at the Universal Exhibition of 1878. His sculpture, both precise and spirited, is in the line of Barye and Mêne. The Russian Museum in Saint Petersburg preserves an important part of his work. During Lanceray's lifetime, four founders from Saint Petersburg collaborated with sculpteur : Félix Chopin, Adolphe Moran, Charles Bertauld and Nikolaï Stange. Felix Chopin was a Russian foundryman of French origin who settled in St. Petersburg in 1838 where he became the main supplier to the imperial court.