Young African woman, Circa 1930
Plaster with bronze patina
Signed MA De Blonay
H. 126 cm
Marguerite-Anne de Blonay studied sculpture at the Académie de la Grande Chaumière from 1923 onwards, alongside Émile Antoine Bourdelle, under the direction of Ary Bitter. In 1934 she founded a school of sculpture and painting in Casablanca and then traveled to Africa; her work, mainly focused on ethnography, was inspired by her travels. In 1948, she was elected corresponding member of the Academy of Colonial Sciences.